Friday, March 14, 2008

Tattoos: More power to you

Dear friends, this is a rant about a pet peeve of mine dating back to the early 1990s. Be warned, I don't care who I offend with this rant. Enjoy.

Tattoos are the one thing I will never got, not in a million years. They mean nothing to me and are a trend that I am far too old to start delving in.

I run into people, every day, that have tattoos and I just don't get it. What could you possible want on your skin for the rest of your life? Does this object define you now or forever? I don't see anything that I would be willing to vouch would be something that would stick with me.

Not to say I don't understand the identity need. People either get them to identify with and object or with others around them. The latter is actually the sadder of the two. People come and go in our lives, it's just a matter of time. Sure, we all assume our friendships endure but the reality is that what was cool when you were a teen is not who you are as an adult. Don't believe me? Why do you think people make money removing them?

The truth is that I must be jealous because getting one would up my badass status. Maybe people would even show me more respect. After all, I got ink done. 

I'm just a bitter old man, I guess. I never caught on to drinking either. I just don't do a lot of things because other people do them. I don't even own a mobile phone, which gets me the weirdest looks, means that I am secure enough in not caring about what others think of me not to just do something because it is cool now.

Getting tattooed, to me, is a fad, plain and simple, and the willingness to spend money to make a statement like that is, in my opinion again, cliche. It used to make a statement long ago but now it is something most people do. Isn't it weird that people without tattoos are now the rare ones? Bee-zar!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not offended, and know what you mean. From my perspective, though, both my tattoos were gifts from Ian, so they'll always be meaningful to me, even if I cease to care about the pictures themselves. They represent different times in our lives together. ~Krista