Saturday, March 8, 2008

Day 3: The server nightmare

If you didn't already know, I work in a restaurant as a server. I have worked in several restaurants in my adult life, mostly in casual dining, but they are taken their toll.

Last year alone I have not felt energized or active for the majority of the time working. In fact, it takes a good while to recoup the energy lost during a single busy shift.

But that is not what kills me. In fact, it is something more subconscious: The server nightmare. It occurs when, basically, I go to sleep. Most nights, save a few, I dream about work. In the dream I fall behind and start upsetting the customers. Things go wrong or orders take too long and they all give me a look that says "I want you fired."

Surprisingly, however, the dreams never have managers getting angry with me. I wonder if it is something just part of my subconscious that I have a problem dealing with the idea of failure.

Who knows...

No comments: