Tuesday, April 22, 2008

It's good to be home

I've just finished my ninth shift in seven days. I am, how you'd say, pretty beat?

But I do not get a reprieve. My schedule for next week is the same as this week only different sections. I am being assigned seven shifts per week on a regular basis now.

I really shouldn't complain too much. I mean, if you think about it, I am lucky to have a job, right? If the media is right, the economy is in the toilet. Heck, we should all be thanking our lucky stars to have anything. Housing is slumping, the dollar is weak and getting weaker and oil is not slowing down in price.

I realized, the other day, that being a server is based in the trickled down economy. Sometimes, when those that need to be waited on need to be treated, we hope and pray that they throw us a bone. Sometimes they go above and beyond and others surprise the hell out of you with how cheap they are.

But that's how I get paid. If I didn't get tips but a paycheck, it would be different. I wouldn't need to kiss ass and be as nice to someone who is a jerk. But I do have to and restaurants love that they do not have to pay us more than they are required to by law... Awesome for them.

Peace.

No comments: