Monday, April 14, 2008

Dreaming about work

I work a lot. At a minimum I work five shifts per week. Right now I am in a pattern of having six or more shifts a week. With little free time and a constant feeling of having to do something with my time, I am bordering on being crazy.

But to just pile more on, I also dream about work almost every night. And it isn't just the job I have, waiting tables, but I am back in the Air Force Reserve, something I left behind over a year ago, and I am going nuts by it.

It's not that I don't enjoy what I do. I take great pride in how I do my job and it gives me a comfortable life. But it seems endless right now. The dream dictionary gives me the definition that I feel like I have unfinished business at work but that doesn't apply to my line of work. What I think the dreams mean is that I feel pulled every which direction and have fallen into a pattern where I am becoming more anxious and more aggravated and it will eventually consume me. I found myself going gambling just to get away from all of it only to have that become part of my routine.

So far, and that is a short so far, I am trying to eliminate the bad habits and get into more adventurous ones to spice it up but it's going to be a long, long journey back to what I consider sanity.

Peace.

1 comment:

Krista said...

Nick, I haven't waited tables in years and years, but occasionally STILL have that dream where I am working a shift and realize there's a whole section I forgot about, or whatever. I think anyone who has ever been in the service industry has those dreams. Of course, you could get an office job, which basically would mean your anxiety dreams would be replaced with a lot of donut eating and gossiping about really really boring stuff.... and talking about quilting. So I'd say you're doing alright. :-)