Thursday, May 22, 2008

A fall and then 18 miles

Today began as any good day off. You don't wake up to an alarm and you get a good breakfast in you. Then you go for a ride.

But all was not perfect, as I learned early on. It started with the frustration of trying to install a bike computer on my road bike. After watching an internet tutorial I had to cut off and reset the cabling twice. When I got it outside I thought "hey, this computer seems off" as I began the ride. Unfortunately I decided to mess with the computer after clipping into my pedals and ended up dumping my bike and me landing on my knee. Man that smarted.

But this did not deter me, no sir. A little blood letting never hurt no one and, after shaking off the initial pain I proceeded to ride to the lakes.

One of the best parts about a long run like today was that it gives one time to take in the scenery and think about nothing but riding. I saw some interesting things along the way: A junior high choir singing in the Lake Harriet Bandshell, the exposed trolley tracks on Xerxes Avenue, a sunbather surfing the internet. All good stuff, really.

All in all I had a pretty good day. I even did some fun shopping, which I don't usually do. Most times I just buy groceries or a cup of coffee (pretty lame) but today I bought some fun stuff that will add to future enjoyment in my life.

I forget that you really don't have to be "complete" if you don't want to be. Completeness is merely a short stop on the road of experience where you forget that the road is not over just because you reach a set destination. There is always something else to look forward to. Who would have thought I would fall in love with cycling at 33? I for one didn't.

Peace.

No comments: