Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Another unnecessary death

Staff Sgt. Ryan Maseth died in January in Iraq. He died while trying to take a shower because he was electrocuted by faulty design. He died without a bullet fired...

As you may well know, I was a member of the Reserve and National Guard for almost 12 years. I don't wear the uniform anymore but I did have a job that I needed to know a crapload about the military for. One thing I know is that people in the military are trained fighting machines. They train to do battle, to do things that promote or resupply the battle or to make sure that those outside the battle are kept up.

But when someone dies, and not the first, from a faulty shower, that is absolutely pathetic. As I was reading the article on CNN, I read that Kellogg, Brown and Root, a subsidiary of Halliburton, only fixes problems in Iraq once they have occurred, and is not doing preventive maintenance, I am, I don't know, wanting to vomit pretty hard.

Imagine if you were given a huge blank check and told to go support the mission in Iraq and you failed to the point that you were killing our own servicemen. How would you live with yourself? Would you need to pardon yourself as you blew your nose into crisp $100 bills?

I think this war is a crock of crap, part of the reason I left in the first place, but this, along with 11 other reported deaths from the SAME THING makes me want to do something rash.

I think I need a cigarette...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am vomiting so hard right now.