Thursday, July 17, 2008

300 miles and loving it

Yesterday I reached a milestone in my young cycling career: 300 miles so far this summer. I put an odometer on my bicycle at around the 30 mile mark and have gone on several bike trips around the twin cities, farther than I ever thought I would go, and it is awesome.

While it is a very solitary experience, especially since no one I know goes biking for fun, I have learned to relax a bit. Riding, to me, is stretching your comfort zone to new lengths. Where once I would not dare to ride 20 miles even in a car, I do that regularly without a parachute. No tire pump, no patch kit, one water bottle. I carry a $10 bill in case I need anything but I just lock in and ride until I have gone as far as I want to go.

Yesterday was pretty warm, not too windy but hot. I rode out from my place to Hwy, 169 all the way to 394 and then back to almost downtown Minneapolis before I headed to the lakes. Someday I plan to ride a long distance, not just yet, but I am working toward it.

The first 300 miles is over and I feel awesome. Sore, but awesome. I just can't believe I did it.

Peace.

No comments: