Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Why do only rich people get to live on lakes/rivers?

I was positing yesterday, as I made my way around the small lakes near my apartment, that all of the houses that are on lakes are more than likely more expensive and, thus, unaffordable to the folks like me. However, when I turned on the television and was watching the news, I watched as a dam burst at Lake Denton and million-dollar vacation (vacation!!!) homes were caught up in the rush of water and were torn asunder.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am not against people making an honest living, investing and spending their money. But is it fair that I work just as many hours, went to just as much schooling and keep just as much to a budget and can't even afford the house a mile from the lake?

I think one thing that is inspired in our country is class envy. It is one of the main reasons that conservative voters don't like to raise taxes, even if it is to their benefit and mostly affects the wealthiest of us. I have heard it said that many conservatives still believe that, one day, they will be rich and thus would not want to face the tax burden they had voted for when they were poor.

The reality is that most of us will end up just remaining in an average holding pattern, never achieving the millionaire status, unless, of course, millionaire is the new minimum wage earner and the rich are all trillionaires.

Yes, I do feel sorry for those that lost their homes that used to be on a lake and are now on a river. After hearing the news that most of these homes had no insurance to cover that type of damage, it makes me even feel sad that all was lost.

But it still doesn't excuse the fact that I have to drive to a lake and can't afford to live there. I guess I am just envious, accept for the fact that, in my backyard, I have a pond...

Peace.

3 comments:

Krista said...

Nick, we live 1-1/2 blocks from a lake and are by no means rich (nor was our house that expensive). While there definitely are some mighty expensive houses in our neighborhood, the majority of them are owned by plain old working class Joes like us!

Tzilt said...

Supply and demand duh.

If I have a million dollars to buy a house am I supposed to step aside because Saddy McPoorington saved up $50 to buy a lakeside view?

Nicholas Olson said...

I was talking about class envy, not just owning a house on a lake.