Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Ow! Sore...

Yesterday I pushed myself, once again, harder than ever. Last week I went for a 33-mile ride around the Twin Cities. As fun as that was, I was in a good deal of pain for days, having shoehorned the ride between tough shifts at work.

Yesterday was really no different.

I had just come off of four shifts, over the weekend, where I was pretty beat up. So what do I do? I jump on my bike! The beginning was tough going. The legs didn't respond well, at first, and you have to uncreak the creaky.

I headed from my apartment to Hopkins, a new route I had done the prior week, only I went farther. I ended up riding through a construction zone, the first of a couple that day, and I added about a mile to the route.

After cruising to Minnetonka Blvd, a great, smooth stretch until you get to the Kenwood Trail, I was feeling much stronger and my speed was better. Oh, before I forget, there are hills in Hopkins that are just brutal for riders, especially at the beginning of a ride.

So, anyway, I decided, this time, to head into downtown. Little did I know the trail ends near the Target Center due to the Twins Stadium construction. Riding in the city is more daunting because of the cars. Lovely! Then I ran into the gravel machines ruining my smooth roads (Road bikes and gravel don't mix).

The ride got better as I caught the path along the river and over the Stone Arch bridge. Beautiful view of the mill ruins, the Guthrie and, of course, the new I35W bridge. I rode over to the middle of the bridge next to it and stopped at the plaque in the middle. I had brought a granola bar, which I inhaled, and continued on to South Minneapolis where I wove my way through to the West River Parkway. It is is nice ride, although the tar paths are pretty cracked (once, again, not road bike friendly).

About the time I got to Minnehaha Falls, I was nearing 30 miles. Understand that my previous week's ride was 33 miles and I wasn't close to home by a stretch. You can catch a wicked fun path along the creek from there. At 30 miles I stopped at Super America and filled up on power bars and a Gatorade and refilled the 24 oz. bottles I use. Oh, if you can get ice, get ice. Cold water on a ride is so much more refreshing.

When I got closer to home I decided to go back to Lake Harriet since I was too close to home to get 40 miles in. This adds about 3 miles if you play it right. When I got on the path I noticed a familiar bike: The same model I ride. I had to pass him and pay him an ironic comment, which was well-met, and then proceeded to kick some ass for a mile ahead.

The rest of the ride was uneventful. I usually try to do a sprint at the end of a ride but I was pretty worn out. As I got to the half-mile point I decided I needed to exceed 40 miles so I took a turn and added an unnecessary mile to the end of the run.

That night the pain truly sunk in and, as I am typing this, I am smarting quite a bit. Yeah! And I have to work tonight!!!

I went shopping to get some recovery aides. I bought some protein bars and some gels and some protein pills because, frankly, I am in for the long haul of being a rider.

By next weekend I want to go over the 50 mile mark in a single ride. My odometer is at 380 miles so far. I want to hit 500 or 600 by September. All of this at the young age of 34 with little riding prior. All I can say is awesome.

Peace.

No comments: